Roundwood's World) and check out his wonderful Lützen (1632) and Nördlingen (1634) projects in 2mm. I liked the result so much, I have shamelessly copied the winter basing Sydney has used. After all, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness!
|What I love about 2mm as a scale, one small bag contains a few weekends of work!|
|Hmmmm. So, what to do with them...|
While in many cases the deployments of foot troops discussed in these manuals tend towards the theoretical rather than actually reflecting those used in the field, it helped me better understand the texts and posed interesting challenges in working with the blocks and the space available on the base.
Overall, the main Irregular Miniatures blocks I used for these bases were:
- RBG7, 45 figure 1-2 pike/shot unit (15 pike/30 shot);
- RBG12, 3-rank Forlorn Hope - 15 figures;
- RBG33, 15 figure Pike block;
- RBG25 Command - 2 figures;
- RBG9, Swiss/Landsknecht pike unit (40 pikes);
- BG2, Infantry in three ranks (24 figures) (these are from the Horse and Musket range; but make great musket units);
- Oh, and of course, the Tercio! - RBG10, Tercio (100 figures 40 pike/60 shot).
My basing scheme is using a 50mm x 25mm bases (c. 2"x1") for foot and cavalry with each foot base being a regiment and each cavalry base a squadron. Command and artillery (and possibly detachments of shot) will be on 25 x 25mm (c. 1" x 1") bases. So, basically, a scaled down Polemos basing system.
|For larger regiments of foot I used the RBG9 pike block with wings of two blocks of BG2 for the musket. In come cases I used some RBG12 as musket either deployed forward as the Forlorn Hope or to the |
rear as reserves.
|All three squadrons deployed in the style of the Swedish Brigade.|
|Rather than laying out some units in with their pike to the left or right (depending on their flank), and with musket in reserve at the rear, I based all of the three squadrons as laid out on p. 172 - assuming the commander would deploy as necessary!|
Finally, below are a few pictures of my first attempts to pain some of the above bases. I have gone for fairly generic colour schemes. I have used the same approach as my ACW 2mm basing where I paint a discoloured patch to the rear of units to represent their footprints in the frost/snow.